Founded in 1866 as S.D. Hungerford & Co. Bank and later renamed St. Lawrence County National Bank, it all began with one branch location and a few employees in Canton, New York. The bank was renamed Community Bank N.A. in the early 1990s. Today, Community Bank N.A. has its headquarters in DeWitt, New York, a branch network with nearly 200 locations across New York and northeast Pennsylvania, and more than 2,000 employees.
The bank has sustained its tradition of a community-focused approach in smaller markets and ensuring high-quality customer service since it first opened its doors in 1866. In recent years, this approach has earned the bank national recognition for customer satisfaction from J.D. Power and Associates, and financial performance from Forbes. In 2015, the bank was named most trusted bank in the Northeast in the MSR Best in Retail Banking Awards.